Saturday, February 16, 2008

Keeping Mom and Dad on their toes

Just as we brag on how well he is doing, Ryan has a minor setback. Thursday, he started having some pretty nasty diapers. Well, they ran some tests and today we found out he does have an infection. He has what is called Clostridium difficile infection or C.diff. It is an infection where bacteria affect his colon. Normally, different bacteria live in the colon and dont harm the body. There is a balance between good and bad bacteria. A C.diff infection happens when this healthy balance changes and may give the C.diff bacteria a chance to grow and cause an infection. He could have got it from antibiotics he received a few weeks ago, but we are not sure. The good news is it is treatable with a specific antibiotic that targets C.diff. There arent any side affects, just some diarrhea. The bad news is it is very contageous. So the doctor marked his room as an isolation room. This means that when the nurses come in, they have to put on protective gowns and gloves. They dont want to infect the other babies. He will be on antibiotics for the next week or so.
Since he has been sick and really tired, they put him back on oxygen thursday. This is just to help him out until he feels better. He hopes to be weaned off of it by early next week.
The other good news is that this 'bug' will not delay him any more from coming home!
Ryan has requested that he spend some private time with just mom and dad until he gets over this.
Thank you!

2 comments:

Jen Lee Reeves said...

Oh Ryan! I'm sorry about the c.diff. I know a little boy who is battling this but he has a compromised immune system. I know the doctors are going to bring your good and bad bacteria back to normal. Big hugs to you and your parents!

Mor Mor Jo said...

Ryan,
I am so sorry you are sick, but you are strong and will fight this like you have everything else. I seem to have a little bug myself and could not come down and see you this weekend, which was very hard not to do, but I will see you next weekend. Your mom is at a party for you right now enjoying friends and receiving items that will make your life happy. Wish I could be there to see what you will receive, but I don't want to get anyone else sick, so I will see it in your room. I can't wait till you can see your room, it is special, mom and dad have worked so hard on it, and I am sure you will be very happy in it. I love you more today, Mor Mor Jo.